Post-congress tours 1 and 2, Tallin-Estonia
Both post-congress tours 1 and 2 have Tallinn as the main destination. We go across the Baltic Sea on the overnight ferry, arriving in the Estonian captial at 10:45 on Saturday 21st September. After hotel check-in we go to the Seaplane Harbour Museum for lunch and a tour, hosted by the Estonian Maritime Museum. It might also be possible to get a preview of the new developments in the Fat Margret Tower, the second venue of the Estonian Maritime Museum in Tallinn. The evening is free for dinner.
On Sunday there will be plenty of time to explore the Old Town, beautiful parks and excellent museums, such as the KUMU art museum and the new Freedom Museum VABAMU.
For those going on to Stockholm (tour 1), the overnight ferry departs at 18:00. After dinner, there is a wide selection of entertainment to chose from on board, including shops, spa, bars and nightclubs before retiring to your cabin. We arrive in Stockholm at 10:15 on Monday 23rd September.
For those going to Helsinki (tour 2), there is a choice of six daily departures from Tallinn to the Finnish capital. The first ferry departs at 7.30 and the last one at 19:30. The voyage is two hours long.
Tour 1: Mariehamn – Tallinn – Stockholm (21– 23 September)
- Departure from Mariehamn on Saturday at 01:00 by ferry, arrival in Tallinn on Saturday at 10:45. Saturday and Sunday in Tallinn. Departure from Tallinn on Sunday at 18:00 by ferry. Arrival in Stockholm on Monday at 10:15.
- Included: B-class inside cabin & breakfast Mariehamn – Tallinn; hotel & breakfast in Tallinn; B-class inside cabin, buffet dinner & breakfast Tallinn – Stockholm.
- Single occupancy cabin and hotel: 425 €/person
- Double occupancy cabin and hotel: 245 €/person
Tour 2: Mariehamn – Tallinn – Helsinki (21– 22 September)
- Departure from Mariehamn on Saturday at 01:00 by ferry, arrival in Tallinn on Saturday at 10:45. Saturday and Sunday in Tallinn. Departure from Tallinn on Sunday anytime by ferry to Helsinki (six departures daily, 2 hours duration).
- Included: B-class inside cabin & breakfast Mariehamn – Tallinn; hotel in Tallinn; Deck place & buffet Tallinn – Helsinki.
- Single occupancy cabin and hotel: 305 €/person
- Double occupancy cabin and hotel: 175 €/person
Post-congress tour 3, Uppsala-Sweden
Post-congress tour 3 is for the university town of Uppsala in Sweden, home to Gustavianum, Uppsala University Museum, a member of ICMM member since 2014. Gustavianum’s collections are large and varied, and includes both Viking boats (in pieces) and 16th century maritime paintings. After a comfortable ferry voyage across the Åland Sea on Saturday 21 September, including a delicious breakfast buffet, we travel by car/bus to Uppsala, arriving around 11:00 a.m. A visit to Gustavianum (the oldest remaining university building in town, with among other things a preserved Anatomical Theatre from 1660) is followed by the sights in the historic centre of Uppsala: the 13th century Cathedral, the outdoor runestone collection, and the 19th-century university main building which also houses one of Gustavianum’s two open collections archives: art and coins. Lunch in the main university building café at 1 pm. The afternoon will be spent walking in Carl von Linnaeus’ footsteps, in his house and gardens in the centre of town, and with a visit to the University Library that holds treasures such as the Carta Marina. In the evening we have dinner together in Gustavianum or one of the student colleges – called “nations” that are scattered around town.
On Sunday we explore Old Uppsala Early Viking site before returning to Uppsala for a look at Gustavianum’s other open collections archives: archaeology and science history. The official post-congress tour ends after lunch in the Botanical Garden.
Tour 3: Mariehamn – Uppsala (21–22 September)
- Departure from Mariehamn on Saturday at 07:20 by bus to Eckerö for 08.30 ferry. Arrival in Grisslehamn at 09:30 (2 hours duration), transfer to Uppsala. Arrival at 11:00. Departure from Uppsala on Sunday any time after 14:00. Arlanda Airport is 20 minutes by train and 30 min by taxi from Uppsala.
- Included: ferry voyage, bus transfers & breakfast Mariehamn – Uppsala; hotel & breakfast in Uppsala, lunch and dinner on the 21st, lunch on the 22nd.
- Not included: transfer on the 22nd from Uppsala to Arlanda airport (ca 20 Euros pp by train, ca 52 Euros for a taxi which taxes four persons) or central Stockholm (ca 12 Euros pp by train, ca 120 Euros by taxi that takes four persons).
- Price: TBA shortly.
Post-congress tour 4, Karlskrona-Sweden
Drop anchor in Karlskrona, a town that was founded in 1680 when Karl XI decided to establish the country’s new naval base here. The key to the appointment is the actual planning of the city, which was built according to King Karl XI's will and vision. More than 300 years later the naval base is still here in Karlskrona – the town where old meets new and tradition meets innovation.
Extracts of UNESCO’s statement
Karlskrona is an exceptionally well preserved example of a European planned naval base, … and of those that remain from this period Karlskrona is the most complete and well preserved.
Tour 4: Stockholm - Karlskrona
- Arrival to Kalrskrona on Saturday, September 21. You can reach Karlskrona either by plane or train from Stockholm. Spend the afternoon discovering the World Heritage city Karlskrona. Maps and suggested routes can be found here
- Guided tour of the areas of the World Heritage that are closed to the public on Sunday, September 22 (Please book the tours through Karlskrona Tourism Agency):
Kungsholm fortification, 10:00-12:30. Ticket price: 250 SEK/adult (incl. guide and boat trip). NB! Military area! Booking in advance is mandatory.
Walk through the Old Naval Dockyard (incl. rope walk), 14:30-16:30. Ticket price: 150 SEK/adult (incl. guide). NB! Military area! Booking in advance is mandatory.
- The Naval Museum offers a guided tour, free of charge to conference guests, on Monday September 23 at 10:00.
For more information about the Post-congress tour in Karlskrona: